dayoutlast is a record of my direct engagement with mostly contemporary art, mostly Los Angelean.

As this blog has evolved since its 2010 inception, so has my perspective. What I once perceived as central within the investigation was what was central, literally, within the photographic frame that I shared here. While still an important consideration, such thinking has also given way to more peripheral considerations, ones also accompanied occasionally by text (written manifestation of thought) and the oscillations between them. What's missing here are larger unknowns surrounding issues of presentation and representation; the amount of time and space it actually takes to accomplish such first-hand observations; and the quandaries between documentation and interpretation.

Despite my attempt to communicate here with image and text what is essential in some respect about the artwork, neither representation should ever be considered a substitution for the primary viewing experience. Of course, occasionally there are exceptions.

Most of the time, these posts are merely remnants---residual fragments---from my last day out.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Morgan Fisher "Exterior and Interior Color Beauty" @ China Art Objects







Fortunate to have seen what I would call the first part of this show at Bortolami last fall (see my other post here), it was nice to see the exterior continuation.  Morgan's methodical exploration and evolution of color, painting, and place has been an enjoyable one to learn about.  It's a story worth revisiting from the beginning.  Unfortunately, I can't find any good online sources to link, but suffice it to say that his interest in how paintings situate within a specific context of display is now historic in multiple ways (personal to his family, pertinent to his own trajectory, and, certainly, to other artists with similar concerns not exclude the likes of Lascaux).  If you find any early images of Fisher's work, do pass them along. I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

Note: The following two photos happened to catch my eye when browsing the gallery desktop for more information.  The purpose of the show(s) is sufficiently written about else where.  I felt these two pages captured a bit of the flavor.



No comments:

Post a Comment