dayoutlast is a record of my direct engagement with mostly contemporary art, mostly Los Angelean.

As this blog has evolved since its 2010 inception, so has my perspective. What I once perceived as central within the investigation was what was central, literally, within the photographic frame that I shared here. While still an important consideration, such thinking has also given way to more peripheral considerations, ones also accompanied occasionally by text (written manifestation of thought) and the oscillations between them. What's missing here are larger unknowns surrounding issues of presentation and representation; the amount of time and space it actually takes to accomplish such first-hand observations; and the quandaries between documentation and interpretation.

Despite my attempt to communicate here with image and text what is essential in some respect about the artwork, neither representation should ever be considered a substitution for the primary viewing experience. Of course, occasionally there are exceptions.

Most of the time, these posts are merely remnants---residual fragments---from my last day out.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Sam Gilliam "Hard-Edge Paintings 1963-1966" Curated by Rashid Johnson @ David Kordansky











The first thing I thought about upon seeing these paintings was the snow-skiiing gear I had when I was a kid (late 70s).  Then I also thought they could have easily been made this year, especially from what I have seen in a few places of contemporary art. Not about me, but perhaps my perception of time as much as it could reflect a greater concern, seemed to be working here, certainly not in a literal sense. Of course, when faced with the dynamism of diagonals, one is automatically in the realm of movement (time). Again, rather than registering in any actual way (phenomenologically speaking), I wonder how they are working as a sign of our time(s)? While I enjoyed the color relations within and between works, I also sensed some kind of relief in their stillness, and my ability to take each one and the show as a whole. Another way to put this might be to say that I wasn't wondering if I had missed something or if there was more to the story, it all seemed to be there and nothing more, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment