dayoutlast is a record of my direct engagement with mostly contemporary art, mostly Los Angelean.

As this blog has evolved since its 2010 inception, so has my perspective. What I once perceived as central within the investigation was what was central, literally, within the photographic frame that I shared here. While still an important consideration, such thinking has also given way to more peripheral considerations, ones also accompanied occasionally by text (written manifestation of thought) and the oscillations between them. What's missing here are larger unknowns surrounding issues of presentation and representation; the amount of time and space it actually takes to accomplish such first-hand observations; and the quandaries between documentation and interpretation.

Despite my attempt to communicate here with image and text what is essential in some respect about the artwork, neither representation should ever be considered a substitution for the primary viewing experience. Of course, occasionally there are exceptions.

Most of the time, these posts are merely remnants---residual fragments---from my last day out.

Monday, September 4, 2017

dayoutlast statement revision

When I started this blog in January of 2010, the sharing of exhibition images was not what it is today.  Most galleries had inadequate websites and there were few 3rd party blogs/sites dominating the landscape.  This blog, for me, was a place to synthesize the photographic results of my own art viewing activity; it still is.  That said, it continues to evolve, not only as a function of my viewing preferences (my interests/tastes/foci) and how the camera technologies govern the possibilities as it pertains to field of frame and light (the constraints of space and camera (smart phones all)), but also how I am now able to also use gallery websites to cross-reference and occasionally use images to fill in gaps.  Needless to say, place, technology and subject has changed how I am able to view/understand works of art.  

What ultimately has developed, which I like best, is a collected archive of images that also includes the distillation of my range of interests as can be evidenced by the actual framing of each photograph, the sequence of images within posts as well as from one to the next, and occasionally text that supports/reinforces/supplants the image.

Technically, the blog is laid out with the most recent posts first, scrolling downwards from past page to past page like layers of sedimentation or piles/files of paper.  Thus, a temporal library of sorts is created.  Along the right hand side, there are a few blogs that I link for your interest (I rarely find time to visit them myself). Next down are the top ton most current posts on this blog; this is always a curiosity to me as some level of viewer interaction and chance are involved, not the least of which are my suspicions about contracted click-farm activities. Continuing downward is a very important component of the blog; it is titled Medium/Site and it tracks the number of posts within the categories that I have specified. It is an analytic that is an investigation of how medium and site interact (my own artistic interests coming through) as well as revealing which ones are the most in the entire blog.  It’s pretty telling and not surprising as it reveals my own focus and interest.  So, hopefully, a shift in my art-viewing in terms of both medium, subject and focus can be seen over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment