dayoutlast is a record of my direct engagement with mostly contemporary art, mostly Los Angelean.

As this blog has evolved since its 2010 inception, so has my perspective. What I once perceived as central within the investigation was what was central, literally, within the photographic frame that I shared here. While still an important consideration, such thinking has also given way to more peripheral considerations, ones also accompanied occasionally by text (written manifestation of thought) and the oscillations between them. What's missing here are larger unknowns surrounding issues of presentation and representation; the amount of time and space it actually takes to accomplish such first-hand observations; and the quandaries between documentation and interpretation.

Despite my attempt to communicate here with image and text what is essential in some respect about the artwork, neither representation should ever be considered a substitution for the primary viewing experience. Of course, occasionally there are exceptions.

Most of the time, these posts are merely remnants---residual fragments---from my last day out.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Vishal Jugdeo "The Thing that Precedes the You" @ Thomas Solomon

When faced with a choice between reinventing a wheel or building a better mousetrap, my guess is that Vishal Jugdeo would opt for the latter. I suppose it might also be another way of asking the chicken and egg question which I suspect is getting closer to his point. Qualitatively, sitting through the video twice, I already felt complicit to some of the questions posed, and didn't need the redundancy of the participatory elements. For me, they end up appearing as a distraction to what I see in this show as essential, some question about the transcendence of difference especially in the face of radically different economic conditions, the contemporary ones of placelessness and absence. What I can appreciate in this work (this show? it wasn't exactly clear to me whether I was looking at a complete installation or discrete, medium-specific, elements, let's call them) was the mediation on thinness, especially as it pertains to materiality and global (social) perspectives. To repeat myself, all of this was in the video, leaving, for me, everything else extraneous and redundant.















No comments:

Post a Comment