dayoutlast is a record of my direct engagement with mostly contemporary art, mostly Los Angelean.

As this blog has evolved since its 2010 inception, so has my perspective. What I once perceived as central within the investigation was what was central, literally, within the photographic frame that I shared here. While still an important consideration, such thinking has also given way to more peripheral considerations, ones also accompanied occasionally by text (written manifestation of thought) and the oscillations between them. What's missing here are larger unknowns surrounding issues of presentation and representation; the amount of time and space it actually takes to accomplish such first-hand observations; and the quandaries between documentation and interpretation.

Despite my attempt to communicate here with image and text what is essential in some respect about the artwork, neither representation should ever be considered a substitution for the primary viewing experience. Of course, occasionally there are exceptions.

Most of the time, these posts are merely remnants---residual fragments---from my last day out.

Thursday, December 31, 2015

dayoutlast Critic's Choices 2015


Questions for me arise about how to order and think about my art viewing from 2015.  Yes, you are reading that correctly, 2015.  Rather than squeeze snap judgements into an end-of-the-year type best-of whatever-type-thing, I just don't think that way. However,  I do think it's valuable to try.  More importantly, I suspect things need to unfold in their time.  So, why not let that time, let it distill, and discover what's holding for a little longer, what actually seems to have substance? 

There are also other questions about how to organize, prioritize, chronologically as a typical default, by medium to consider formal relationships within and between them, by institutional level (museum, gallery, and other type space), or by some other means somewhere in between...?  Having considered these lines of thinking, I have gone with a more personal means, which is to say that these works considered here are ones that either had an immediate impact or have left a lasting impression or both, which is also to say that I am still thinking about them or recall them from time to time three plus years later. And for the sake of locating connective tissue, they are presented here in the order in which they were seen, from Huyghe to Foschino.



Pierre Huyghe @ LACMA



Jesse Stecklow "Potential Derivatives" @ M+B





No comments:

Post a Comment