dayoutlast is a record of my direct engagement with mostly contemporary art, mostly Los Angelean.

As this blog has evolved since its 2010 inception, so has my perspective. What I once perceived as central within the investigation was what was central, literally, within the photographic frame that I shared here. While still an important consideration, such thinking has also given way to more peripheral considerations, ones also accompanied occasionally by text (written manifestation of thought) and the oscillations between them. What's missing here are larger unknowns surrounding issues of presentation and representation; the amount of time and space it actually takes to accomplish such first-hand observations; and the quandaries between documentation and interpretation.

Despite my attempt to communicate here with image and text what is essential in some respect about the artwork, neither representation should ever be considered a substitution for the primary viewing experience. Of course, occasionally there are exceptions.

Most of the time, these posts are merely remnants---residual fragments---from my last day out.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Animal Charm @ China Art Objects












First Thoughts:
Shapes/Forms and surfaces are nice. Content problematic, though I get it. Odd counterpoint to Anya Galaccio (seen just before same day. See here). Also organic wall address, but materially, and therefore significaby different signs, Animal Charm rug v. Galaccio  obsidian. In both cases light and time are working very differently in result, but apparent at least on the surfaces, the former in Animal Charm is abstract in the virtual (projected light) while the latter in Galaccio is concrete (residue of natural processes, particular as noted at the edges).

Second Thoughts:
Interesting setup (composition in terms of video projection and reflective surface, carpet in this case).  While not so sure about the video content in general for each of these, I do like the three vertical "fingers" piece titled, "Tre Amici," 2014.  Seeing this show reminded me how I thought Animal Charm's work was one of the more intriguing ones at this year's Paramount Ranch art fair (see my coverage of said event here . Alas I didn't capture their work then).  Unfortunately, in that instance at Paramount Ranch, it wasn't clear to me whose work it was nor what it's context would really be. It seemed cast off into a general assembling area where no one else was. Now that I've made the connection, I can relate the works as so much sputum/vomit on the floor taken to the wall, or another way to think about it, as process oriented sculpture brought into the realm of painting through video installation.  Some form of consumption to be sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment